Redefine Home Furnishing with Safavieh Area Rugs
Safavieh is a well-known rug brand that recreates the beauty of classic nineteenth-century Persian rugs. Hand-knotted and meticulously crafted by skilled artisans, Safavieh area rugs redefine home furnishings with their detailed motifs, rustic textures, and chic patterns—qualities that make them ideal for contemporary interiors.
Our Safavieh rugs are available in various dimensions, shapes, colors, styles, and textures—with the styles ranging from tribal to transitional. Characterized by luminous outlines and an artful mix of natural shades, dark earth tones, and vibrant colors, these area rugs are on-trend with the design world’s renewed interest in flat-weave carpets. Designed by the finest creative minds in the artisan rug industry, Safavieh rugs capture the true essence of rug artistry and are the perfect addition to the modern, sophisticated home.
Safavieh Rug Materials & Weaving Techniques
Safavieh carpets and area rugs are hand-woven and hand-knotted. Hand-knotted rugs often have finer textures and clearer designs that go along with its vivid colors. Hand-woven Safavieh rugs and carpets utilize a flat-weave, and are much more traditional in construction and design.
Hand-loomed rugs use a heddle to warp and secure threads as the patterns are created. On the other hand, hand-tufted rugs are created by punching individual yarns through a fabric sheet using a tufting gun. A secondary fabric of cotton or felt is attached to the underside of the rug to keep the punched yarns in place. These rugs are much thicker and denser, making them softer and more comfortable underfoot.
Safavieh makes sure that the type of yarn used on its area rugs contributes to the ambience of the rug while keeping it durable and functional. Hand-knotted wool rugs, for example, are softer and much more vibrant and delicate, making it an ideal centerpiece for a room. However, these wool rugs are not suited for high-traffic areas. Synthetic yarns are used for heavy-duty rugs as a durable alternative. These rugs keep their color and texture even when heavily used.
Colors & Patterns of Safavieh Rugs
The patterns, colors, and designs of Safavieh rugs have evolved over the years. They still have Safavieh oriental rugs that have traditional motifs, ornate borders, and grand medallions that display their rich Persian history. Safavieh Country and Floral rugs have the classic Americana style with their vibrant colors, floral mandalas, and soft textures. These rugs are much homier and can warm up any room.
Safavieh Bohemian rugs have earthier tones with vivid highlights and craft-art patterns. These rugs are the perfect example of hip home decor due to the variety of textures and styles that they offer. Contemporary rugs have much more abstract and geometric designs that are coupled with softer textures and subdued colors. These rugs are far more sophisticated and are ideal for modern homes. Other Safavieh rug patterns and styles include novelty, transitional, shag, and flokati rugs.
Caring for & Cleaning Your Safavieh Area Rugs
Here are a few ways to take care of your cherished rug:
- Vacuum your rugs at least once a week, especially those placed in high-traffic areas. Avoid vacuuming the fringes of rugs, especially those of hand-knotted rugs, as it can unravel them.
- You can also brush and sweep rugs to remove light dirt, fibers, and pet hairs. Sweeping is especially effective when cleaning outdoor rugs
- For lighter rugs, you can shake or beat them using a rug beater or the back of a broom to get rid of dirt and debris.
- Rotate rugs in high-traffic spots to distribute wear and fade evenly.
- Use a solution of water, white vinegar, and mild detergent to remove stains.
- For sheepskin rugs, keep them out of UV light to prevent yellowing.
Decorating with Safavieh Area Rugs & Carpets
If you want to furnish your home using Safavieh rugs, here are a few design ideas you can follow:
- Living Rooms - The dimensions of your living room will dictate what kind of rug best suits it. For smaller 5’x8’ rugs, keep all the legs of furniture off it and place them around the edges of the rug. This technique is ideal for contemporary rugs with loud patterns. 8’x10’ rugs are best for harmonizing a space by putting the front legs of the furniture on the rug.
- Dining Rooms - The ideal rugs for dining rooms should be big enough to fit all the legs of the dining table and chairs. Smaller rugs are best for four-seater dining table setups, while 8’x10’ and 9’x12’ rugs are perfect for six and eight-seater dining tables.
- Bedrooms - Softer rugs, like wool rugs, are perfect for bedrooms. These are softer to the feet and give you a cozy feeling. The size of the rug depends on the size and number of beds in the room. The common practice is to place two-thirds of the rug under a full sized bed, with the rug being exposed in front and on both sides of the bed for a homier feel.
Frequently Asked Questions about Safavieh Rugs
What does Safavieh mean?
The Safavieh name refers to the Safavid Persian dynasty that ruled Persia from 1501 to 1736. This dynasty was one of the greatest Iranian empires. This dynasty initiated and oversaw a Renaissance of Persian art and culture, giving birth to the colorful and intricate Safavieh rugs and weaving techniques of today.
How do you clean Safavieh rugs?
Different kinds of Safavieh carpets require distinct rug cleaning methods. Most of these rugs should be vacuumed regularly, especially those in areas with high foot traffic. Safavieh wool rugs, in particular, can be machine washed and air dried as they are more delicate. Also keep wool rugs out of UV light to avoid discoloration.
Are Safavieh rugs good quality?
Safavieh rugs and carpets are much better and easier to clean than other flat-woven rugs. These rugs are soft, making them easy to clean using a vacuum or a washer and a dryer. Also, thanks to the flat-weave construction, Safavieh rugs are highly durable and can handle added foot traffic.
Adorn Your Home with Designer Safavieh Carpets
Cyrus Artisan Rugs carries a wide selection of Safavieh area rugs from some of the world’s most innovative artists and designers, including Ralph Lauren and Thomas O’ Brien. You can also take your pick from our Sultanabad, Kenya, and Oushak rug collections.
Made from premium materials such as fine wool, silk, and natural fibers, our Safavieh carpets are woven in some of the most renowned rug production centers in the world, including India and Nepal. Our Safavieh collections consist mostly of rectangular rugs, with 6x9, 8x10, and 9x12 dimensions.
Decorate your home with different kinds of Safavieh area rugs and carpets to demonstrate your refinement. These carpets are stylish, timeless, and elegant. They are also functional, durable, and can last your family for generations. Go to the Cyrus Rugs website today and choose from our extensive collection.
Some areas we service: